Sunday, February 2, 2014

In Remembrance

Rest in Peace

Today is a very sad day. One of the most brilliant and talented actors we know has left this world for the next, leaving all of us to mourn at his passing. Philip Seymour Hoffman was truly one of the greatest performers of our time. On stage or on screen, we were always dazzled by his art. There are so many beautiful pieces of art we will never be able to see because of this tragedy.

Being a part of the theatre industry (if only in spirit, at the present time) I can understand the stress and anxieties we face. I am not an actor, therefore I can't identify with an actor's mind. But I can try. It must be extremely hard to be an actor of such renown. You are constantly bombarded by paparazzi and fans. There is no way to escape. You are constantly critiqued about everything you do, say, think, and feel. You're being judged on how you look, how you dress, how you behave, and how you perform. Much of the time these judgments are negative and even the most optimistic person in the world can't shove every nasty comment aside.

The only friends you have are fellow actors, and you don't know if any of them are your "real" friends. How can you trust anyone? Everyone in this industry is looking out for number one. When you feel alone and have no one to turn to, you turn to substances to fill a need you feel you can't get anywhere else. As an artist you feel things more deeply and vividly than your fellow man. So when you are down, you are really down. Then when you reach a breaking point, you take things. one. step. too. far.

Philip Seymour Hoffman did not need to die. Nobody should feel this way. Nobody should feel like their only friend can be found in the bottom of a bottle, at the end of a needle, or on the edge of a blade. Everyone should have at least one person in their life that they can count on, no matter what. That one true friend who you can call any time, day or night, to pick you up and encourage you.

To all my actor friends out there. When you make it big, and I have no doubt you will, I want you to always remember that you have one true friend. Never hesitate to call me when you need me. I will always be here for you. I will do my best to pick you up when you are down. I will give you all the kind words and encouragement you need.

I AM HERE FOR YOU. 
I WILL ALWAYS BE HERE FOR YOU.


And that is not just for my actor friends. It is for all of you. I never want you to feel alone. All I want is for you to feel loved.

BECAUSE YOU ARE LOVED. 

I LOVE YOU.


I love each and every one of you, so please don't do anything stupid.

Now let's give Philip Seymour Hoffman a proper sendoff. Let's all take a moment to appreciate the work of a true artist. Here's to you Philip! Thanks for the memories.




"I think you should be serious about what you do because this is it. This is the only life you've got."
- Philip Seymour Hoffman

No comments:

Post a Comment